Extension cord blamed for house fire

(Danville, Va.) — An extension cord sparked a house fire in Danville Monday morning.

Firefighters responded to 176 Clement Avenue just before 7:30 a.m. and found smoke coming from the home.

The fire marshal determined that an extension cord overheated and caught some combustible material piled on top of it on fire.

No one was injured and firefighters contained the blaze with minimal damage to the home.

The fire department warns that extension cords should never be used to power appliances or space heaters.