Drop cord sparks Danville house fire

DANVILLE, Va. – A drop cord started a house fire in North Danville.

Crews were called to 1117 Wyllie Ave. off North Main just before 1:20 Thanksgiving morning and found smoke and fire coming from the back of the single-story, frame house. The occupant and her dog got out safely and were uninjured.

The fire started in the rear of the home, which suffered heavy damage. Smoke and water damage was reported throughout the building. Firefighters had the flames under control in about fifteen minutes.

While the dog wasn’t injured, the animal was taken to the Danville Humane Society until the owner can make living arrangements. She is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The assistant fire marshal investigated and determined that a short in an electrical cord was to blame.