Keen St. fire confined to kitchen

DANVILLE, Va. – Quick work by Danville firefighters kept a fire from spreading beyond the kitchen of a Keen Street home.

Crews were called to 500 Keen St. just before 7 p.m. Tuesday and found light smoke coming from the small, two-story house. They traced the fire to the kitchen and quickly extinguished the blaze.

Fire damage was confined to one room with heat and smoke damage throughout.

The family was alerted by a smoke alarm, left the house and no one was injured. The house is unlivable until repairs are made. The family is being assisted by the Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was unattended cooking.

Three engines responded and crews were on scene for about 90 minutes.

An earlier fire damaged a home in Pittsylvania County on Tuesday.

Firefighters responded to a house on Old Richmond Road to find smoke showing from the second story. The fire was knocked down quickly, but the home sustained fire and smoke damage and the home is unlivable.

The homeowner wasn’t injured.

The fire marshal determined that the blaze was accidental and was sparked by a pinched wire on a receptacle.