(Danville, Va.) — A roof collapse at a business on lower Main Street Saturday afternoon led to the evacuation of a restaurant next door and forced police to detour traffic around the site until the line could be shut off.

Customers at Dell’Anno’s Pizza Kitchen detected a strong odor of gas and the fire department responded just after 4 p.m.

The problem was at the building next door, The Venue, which was undergoing renovations. A roof collapse caused the gas leak and crews shut off gas lines to the building. They also checked nearby businesses but found no problems.

The businesses were allowed to reopen within an hour and there were no injuries.

A church owns The Venue and is renovating the building for use as a restaurant.

(Photo: Ken Warrick)